What’s the worst time to visit or go to Phuket, you may wonder. The fact that there’s potentially a time when its not advisable to travel to the Isles of Thailand is just ludicrous isn’t it?
Unfortunately not. There are certain months, certain periods and certain times of the year when it’s not advisable to visit Phuket and we’ll let you in on them in a moment.
Things to do in Phuket
Tour Phuket city, go Jet Skiing, visit the Elephant Sanctuary and much more. See things to do in Phuket below:
About Phuket in Thailand
Phuket is a popular island and travel destination in Thailand known for its stunning beaches, vibrant nightlife, and a wide range of outdoor activities. It’s the largest island in Thailand and attracts tourists from around the world.
Some of the famous areas in Phuket include Patong Beach, Kata, Karon, and Old Phuket Town. Visitors can enjoy activities like snorkeling, diving, exploring temples, and trying delicious Thai cuisine while visiting Phuket.
Reasons why Tourists visit Phuket
Visiting Phuket can be a fantastic experience with a diverse range of offerings Tourists don’t easily find in their homelands. Here are the most popular reasons why we all love travelling to Phuket:
- Beaches: Phuket boasts beautiful beaches with clear waters and soft sands. Patong Beach is famous for its lively atmosphere, while Kata and Karon offer a more relaxed vibe.
- Outdoor Activities: You can engage in various outdoor activities, such as snorkeling, scuba diving, parasailing, and jungle trekking in Phuket’s lush interior.
- Nightlife: Patong Beach is the hub for nightlife in Phuket, with numerous bars, clubs, and entertainment options. If you’re a Party Animal, the vibrant and energetic nightlife scene will reel you in.
- Cultural Attractions: Tourists also travel to this dreamy Island to explore the Old Phuket Town, where you’ll find charming Sino-Portuguese architecture, colorful buildings, and a mix of cultural influences.
- Island Hopping: Phuket serves as a gateway to nearby islands like Phi Phi Islands and James Bond Island, which you can visit on day trips.
What’s the single worst time to visit Phuket?
The single worst time to visit Phuket for most travelers would be during the southwest monsoon season, which typically occurs from May to October. This period is characterized by heavy rainfall, high humidity, and rough seas.
While visiting Phuket during the monsoon season might be cheaper due to lower hotel rates, it’s generally not recommended if you hope to have a pleasant and enjoyable vacation experience.
Other worst times of the year to visit Phuket
Apart from the monsoon season, there are a few other times when visiting Phuket might not be ideal:
- Don’t visit during peak Tourist Season (December to February): While the weather is generally pleasant during this time with less rain, it’s also when Phuket is most crowded and expensive. Accommodation prices can be high, and popular attractions can get crowded.
- Don’t visit during the Chinese New Year: Avoid visiting during the Chinese New Year period if you prefer a quieter experience. Many tourists from China flock to Phuket during this holiday, leading to crowded beaches and attractions.
- Don’t visit during Songkran (Thai New Year): Songkran, celebrated in mid-April, is known for its water festival where people splash water on each other. While this can be a fun cultural experience, it can also get extremely wet, and some travelers may prefer to avoid it.
- Lastly, during local Holidays and Festivals: Check for local holidays and festivals like Loy Krathong (Festival of Lights) and the Vegetarian Festival, which can lead to crowded streets and limited availability of certain services.
Frequently asked questions
Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) (with answers) that Tourists ask about the worst times to visit Phuket:
When is the worst time to visit Phuket due to weather?
- The worst time in terms of weather is during the southwest monsoon season, which typically occurs from May to October, bringing heavy rainfall and rough seas.
What’s the downside of visiting Phuket during the monsoon season?
- The downside includes frequent rain, storms, limited beach time, and potentially dangerous sea conditions for water-based activities.
Are there other times to avoid visiting Phuket besides the monsoon season?
- Yes, you might want to avoid the peak tourist season (December to February) if you prefer a quieter experience and lower prices due to crowds and high demand.
Is Chinese New Year a bad time to visit Phuket?
- It can be crowded during Chinese New Year, as many Chinese tourists visit during this holiday. If you prefer a quieter experience, you may want to avoid this period.
What about Songkran and other Thai holidays?
- Songkran (mid-April) is known for its water festival, which can be fun but extremely wet. Check for local holidays and festivals, as they can lead to crowded streets and limited services.
When is a better time to visit Phuket if you want good weather with fewer crowds?
- Consider visiting during the shoulder seasons (early November or late April/May) when the weather is still pleasant, but there are fewer tourists and potentially more reasonable prices.
Is there a specific time to avoid for cultural reasons?
- Be aware of local cultural festivals like Loy Krathong and the Vegetarian Festival, as they can impact your travel experience due to crowds and street closures.
What’s the worst time to visit Phuket in September?
- The entire month of September is a bad time to visit because it is positioned between the southwest monsoon season and the transition to the drier, high tourist season.
Is April a good time to visit Phuket?
- Yes it is. April marks the end of the dry season in Phuket, and the weather is generally warm and sunny. It’s a great time for outdoor activities, beach relaxation, and water sport.
Is July a good time to visit Phuket?
- July is in the midst of the southwest monsoon season in Phuket. While there’s a higher chance of rain, it’s not necessarily a constant downpour. You can still expect plenty of sunny days, but brief, heavy showers are common, typically in the late afternoon or evening.
To ensure a more enjoyable and peaceful visit, consider traveling during the shoulder seasons (early November or late April/May) when the weather is still good, but crowds are thinner, and prices may be more reasonable. Ultimately, the best or worst time to visit Phuket depends on your preferences for weather, crowds, and activities.