Wondering how much Passport renewal costs in Nigeria? Read this post and see how to renew your International Passport faster, stress free as well as know how much it costs.
About the Nigerian International Passport
The Nigerian international passport, also known as the Nigerian ePassport, is an official travel document issued by the Nigerian government to its citizens for international travel purposes. It serves as proof of identity and nationality, allowing Nigerian citizens to travel abroad and gain entry into foreign countries.
The Nigerian ePassport has several security features to prevent forgery and unauthorized use. It contains a biometric chip that stores the passport holder’s personal information, including their name, date of birth, photograph, and fingerprint data. This technology enhances the security and integrity of the passport.
To obtain a Nigerian international passport, an applicant must go through the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) and follow a specific application process. Here are the general steps involved:
- Complete the online application: Visit the official website of the NIS and fill out the passport application form. Fill in your correct personal information and upload the mandatory documents.
- Pay the applicable fees: After completing the application, you will be required to pay the passport processing fees. The fees vary depending on the type of passport and processing options chosen.
- Book an appointment: Once the payment is confirmed, you will need to book an appointment at the nearest passport office, depending on your location.
- Attend the appointment: On the scheduled date, visit the passport office with all the required documents, including proof of payment, application form, and supporting documents such as birth certificate, national identification card, and passport-sized photographs.
- Biometric capture: At the appointment, your biometric data, including fingerprints and photograph, will be captured. This information will be stored in the passport’s electronic chip.
- Passport processing: After the biometric capture, the passport application will undergo processing by the Nigerian Immigration Service.
- Passport collection: Once the passport is ready, you will be notified to collect it from the designated passport office. You may need to provide a receipt or any other identification documents during the collection.
Can I renew my Nigerian passport?
Before we answer the question of how much Passport renewal is in Nigeria, it’s important to first know if it’s possible to renew.
Yes, you can renew your Nigerian passport. The process for renewing a Nigerian passport is similar to the process for obtaining a new passport. Here are the general steps involved:
- 1. Complete the online application: Visit the official website of the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) and fill out the passport renewal application form and upload the required documents.
- Pay the applicable fees: After completing the application, you will be required to pay the passport renewal fees. The fees vary depending on the type of passport and processing options chosen.
- Book an appointment: Once the payment is confirmed, you will need to book an appointment at the nearest passport office or embassy/consulate, depending on your location.
- Attend the appointment: On the scheduled date, visit the passport office or embassy/consulate with all the required documents, including proof of payment, application form, and supporting documents such as your current passport, national identification card, and passport-sized photographs.
- Biometric capture: At the appointment, your biometric data, including fingerprints and photograph, will be captured. This information will be updated in the renewed passport.
- Passport renewal processing: After the biometric capture, the passport renewal application will undergo processing by the Nigerian Immigration Service.
- Passport collection: Once the renewed passport is ready, you will be notified to collect it from the designated passport office or embassy/consulate. You may need to provide a receipt or any other identification documents during the collection.
It’s important to note that the application process and requirements may vary slightly, and it’s always recommended to talk to a Travel Agent from TravelRichee to get the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding renewing your Nigerian passport as well as how much it could cost.
The truth of the matter
While all the above procedures are typical in an ideal situation, in a sane country, it’s far from reality in Nigeria. We all know that if you follow the steps above, the people at the Passport office will frustrate your entire existence and your collection date will most definitely run into months.
When a close friend of mine went looking for how much renewal of Passport is in Nigeria 2 years ago, he had foolishly gone ahead to register and pay online as was the “right” thing to do. On getting to the Passport office at Ikoyi, he quickly came to realise that there are two classifications of applicant files – one was for those who paid online, and one was for those who paid at the Office.
To the regular Nigerian, there really is no difference between the files and you don’t know what’s up yet until months and months of waiting. But to the insiders like us, we know and understand that the officers at the Passport office purposely single out the files of those who don’t “pay at the office” . They put their files at the very last on the queue.
How you know is that after capturing, they make you believe that collection is just around the corner, only to inquire and be told “Oga, Madam, Booklet has finished”.
It’s all format to get you to grease the palm of someone. Those who grease get Booklets first. Those who don’t get catapulted to the very back of the line, and this is why it usually takes months to get one’s Passport renewed.
So how much is International Passport renewal in Nigeria?
While it’s terrible that this problem exists, it’s important to understand that you cannot fight the system and win because the number of corrupt individuals in the system is A WHOLE LOT. What you can do is play smart and come out a winner in a morally bankrupt society.
There are over 200,000 demands for passports every month all across Nigeria. You don’t want to be put at the back of this queue. You also want to make sure that you do not grease the palms of someone at the Passport office who will swindle you of your money or bring you no value.
It’s to this end that we have made friends and connections at the Lagos Passport offices so as to fast track the renewal of Nigerian Passports for our clients.
In order to fast track it while also holding on to your sanity and peace of mind, TravelRichee can process your Passport renewal for you and you collect it within 45 days or less. Keep reading to find out more.
The cost of renewing an international passport in Nigeria depends on various factors, such as the type of passport and processing options chosen. Here is what we’re offering you:
A 100% done for you service to get you a new Nigerian passport or renew your old one without you leaving the comfort of your home to face the hustles and stress of visiting the Passport office several times and waiting in long queues. All you need to do is show up for capturing.
The answer to how much is Nigerian Passport renewal is simple – we charge ₦80,000 per passport renewal service. Bulk orders of up to 3 Passports and above get you a 10 – 25% discount. On the Renew Plan, you get the following perks:
- Documents pick-up
- Online registration + fees inclusive
- NIN Verification fees inclusive
- Ready in 45 days or less
- Complimentary Passport Jacket inclusive
- Passport delivery
- Weekly status updates via SMS
- Dedicated Travel Manager
- Pay Small Small (optional)
While it may sound on the high side for some, think about this: the amount you will spend on the travel process itself will cost way more than this, and every time you want to experience it, that’s another couple of millions you’ll have to spend.
But your passport is gotten once and for all and can be used within a 5 to 10 year period. If you got a 5 year Passport and paid 80k for it to come out quick and stress-free, that means you basically paid just 16,000 naira per year for your Passport. Compare that to how much you’ll spend travelling within 5 years.
How much is Passport renewal in Nigeria: Call to action
If you like what we’re offering and you’d like to talk about renewing your Nigerian Passport, send us a message on our official WhatsApp number here.